Sunday, May 3, 2009

"The Grid" Reading Assignment Reflection

In the article's introduction it mentions and shows examples of four different kinds of grids.  I wasn't previously aware that there were TYPES of grids in design and I'm curious to know how to use each of them and how they help differently than the others.  I also wonder how people designed before this grid system was invented.  Or perhaps that's the difference between designing something and just art.
Reading about the early manuscripts and icons was very interesting to me because I have taken a calligraphy course and Im sure even then i have no idea the time, effort and pain-staking detail that went into those documents and pieces of art.  Seeing grids to them is further evidence of the precision, skill and craft put into them. 
I thought it was very interesting how the grid was eventually used as a visual graphic element itself in the 70's after Swiss design became popular in the 60's.  To use a technique as a piece of your design is an interesting concept especially as we look at it in design history.
Overall I found the article interesting although I must admit it was very difficult to follow.  The author used very sophisticated language in a way that almost made me read a sentence three times over before I understood it.

No comments:

Post a Comment